Sunday, March 20, 2011

Lessons From Michigan

Hello again! I have spent some time deciding whether or not I want to keep our family blog. My sister told me, "You're going to miss it," and you know what...she was right! I keep a personal journal (and one for each of my girls...perhaps overkill), but there is something special about blogging. I think I missed blogging because it gave me an excuse to go through my pictures every once in a while and reflect on the rich blessing in my life. I also enjoyed the "community" of blogging. You know, the chance to catch up on what others are doing and to stay in touch with loved ones. When we left Michigan I thought maybe there wouldn't be a need to keep a blog, since we were no longer away from "home." Soon after arriving in Canada I realized that Michigan will always be like a second home to me, and that I have family there I still need to keep in touch with. It's hard to believe that three years can make such a big impression on one's life. I sure hope we can remember the great lessons we've learned.

Our Favorite Lessons From Michigan:
  • School is wonderful (I knew that before Michigan, but couldn't leave it out)
  • Everyone needs their own YMCA (Child watch is a must)
  • Unplugging the phone does wonders
  • Pajama days are important
  • A new recipe each week spices up life
  • Date twice a month minimum
  • Sometimes good friends are just meant to be
  • Always believe in your spouse
  • You don't have to drive far for a family vacation
  • Apple cider and donuts are a must in the Fall
  • Enjoy the "doing" more and focus less on the "getting done"
  • The library is a great place to bring kids weekly
  • Good food brings people together
  • Nap-time is a perfect time for scripture study
  • Michigan has beautiful beaches
  • Simplify & minimize
  • Throw out junk and deep clean quarterly if possible
  • Serve with a grateful heart
  • Love unconditionally
  • It's okay to say, "no" sometimes
  • Long distance friendships can be some of your closest friendships
  • Dance (& sing) often
  • K.O.A's are for cushy camping :)
  • There's nothing that can't be abbreviated
  • Outlet prices are hard to beat
  • Renting has its perks
  • You don't need a lot of space or nice decor to host
  • Celebrate people's successes
  • Hold on & make an effort with the golden friendships
  • We love Black culture
  • Money doesn't make you happy
  • Panera has delicious bagels
  • Be generous with your resources
  • Life can fit in a 5 x 8 cargo trailer
Thank you for everything Michigan!! We love you and miss you dearly!!

3 comments:

jeanine said...

Yea! You're back to blogging! I love all the lessons you learned in Michigan!

Jenny said...

Oh my gosh, I LOVE LOVE LOVE this post. As I read your list I kept saying, "Ya, I totally miss that" louder and louder. I miss you too and really, really need to get down to visit. Soon, my love, soon.

Amy MacDonald said...

Erin this was just great :)